This year marks the 20th anniversary for Mary Meeker’s annual report on Internet Trends. Since the mid-90s, Mary has provided key insights into the evolving Internet; earning her the title of “Queen of the Net.” Her “must-read” report frequently nails the up-and-coming trends and identifies the most innovative startups.
We’re honoured to be one of the few Canadian companies profiled alongside Facebook and Twitter. For us, the inclusion in the user-generated content section is a great acknowledgement of our work and the contributions of Wattpadders around the world. Together we are realizing a future where anyone, anywhere in the world can read and write stories from the devices they already own.
Here’s three things in the report you may find interesting:
Internet user growth is still healthy but slowing:
- Internet growth is down to 8 percent, single digit for the first time
- Smartphone growth rate is also slowing:
- 65 percent in 2012 to 23 percent in 2014
India – the next big country of large scale Internet adoption after U.S. and China.
- India has 232M Internet users. They added 63M in 2014 alone
- India is already FB’s second largest country
- 65 percent of India’s Internet traffic is mobile (higher than almost all other countries)
Print remains way over indexed relative to time spent:
- People spent 24 percent of their time on mobile, yet advertisers spent only 8 percent of their dollars in that space
- This gap is a $25B opportunity in the U.S. alone
Obviously there are many more interesting trends. What else do you think is worth highlighting?